Non Executive Directors SIG – 4.30pm-5.45pm
Location : Minster Exchange, Minster Pavement, Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7PP
Guest Speaker: Gerry Brown, Portfolio NED
Gerry Brown has had an extensive corporate career and subsequently an enviable portfolio career as Chairman and Independent Director. Gerry will be sharing some of his experiences with us:
• Where is the best place to start building a NED portfolio?
• Size of portfolio – how easy is it to balance the competing demands on time?
• Conflicts of Interest – how do you manage the potential conflicts when working for multiple organizations?
• Difference in the role of a NED versus Executive Director – how do you avoid becoming sucked in?
• Oversight and guidance – stepping away from the detail.
• Eyes and ears of the Board
• Legal Liability- what protection do you need?
• Do’s and don’ts’s in the Boardroom
• What Gerry has seen that works and what doesn’t?
• Your first few meetings, what do you do?
Gerry Brown is a Director of Novaquest Capital Management a Private Equity firm focussed on Life Sciences.
He is also Chairman of NFT Ltd a MBO from Northern Foods funded by Phoenix Equity and is Senior Independent Director of Keller plc a global construction services company.
He was an Independent Director of Quintiles a global pharmaceutical outsourcing company from 1998 until 2010.He was firstly a Main Board Director and Chairman of the Audit Committee and subsequently from 2003 Chairman of the EMEA Business.
He was Chairman of Biocompatibles International plc a medical technology company focussed on drug device combination products for use in oncology and cardiology until its acquisition by BTG in 2011.
He was the Senior Independent Director at Forth Ports plc until its acquisition by an Infrastructure Fund in 2011.
He represented 3i on the Board of Vantec Corporation a MBO from Nissan in Japan until the very successful exit. He then represented the purchaser the Japanese bank Mizuho.
He was Chairman of Upol Ltd a business funded by Graphite Private Equity and concerned with the manufacturing and distribution of products for the repair of damaged vehicles until it was sold to ABM Amro.
He was a Director of CH Jones a private company focussed on Fuel Management and Information Systems until the very successful trade sale.
He was also a Non Executive Director of Michael Gerson Ltd representing the Bank of Scotland and of Datrontech plc an international distributor of computer products
Prior to his career as a Chairman/ Independent Director he was for many years an international senior business executive working in supply chain management covering a variety of market sectors. He served as Operations Director of Exel plc (now DHL) was a Board member of TDG plc and latterly was Chairman of Europe for Tibbett and Britten plc. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics.
Mr Brown is married with 5 children and was educated in England at Exeter and Reading Universities and the London Business School’.